Friday, September 24, 2010

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

That title is inappropriate and funny, just like the gentleman who - quite intoxicated - grabbed and caressed my earlobe the other night. It elicited the same reaction as the title question did: laughter as I backed away, shaking my head and saying, "Yeah. No."

This time in my life has forced me to ask questions with a new level of depth. Can I do this? Is God really worthy of laying everything else aside? Is He who He says He is? Is the Bible trustworthy? Is His grace really sufficient? I'm not allowed to compartmentalize many things in my life that I have traditionally kept for myself: chiefly, academics. It's not that I'm doing poorly...it's just that never before have I thought...huh. I think I can do this, but I'm not sure. Is that arrogant? Probably. It's always safe to say that I've got a healthy dose of pride mixed into my thought processes, haha. But the Father has been teaching me to respond to this.

Can I do this? Yes, but not because of you. *warm smile*
Are You sure? Oh, Kayla, daughter, the depths I've gone for you to be sure...yes. I see. I know. I'm sure.
What if I fail? Baby girl, what is failure? Remember why you came to do this...I brought you here, and I never waste. I'm good. Don't expect things of your circumstances, you're aiming way too low there. Expect, hope, dream ridiculous things of My character.
What if I'm unsure? That's OK, child. You are mine, and oh, how I approve of you! I never reject you when you choose not to trust Me...I always mold that into a learning process for you- for your joy, for the world's good, and for My glory. Always. Come to Me with your uncertainties. I enjoy hearing even those from you.

Really? I guess it's about not being afraid of weakness, or uncertainty, or anxiety...as a dear friend once relayed to me: It's not about whether or not bad thoughts come. They will, and that's okay. Don't be defeated by their appearance...this is the perfect time for Jesus' strength in my weakness to be real. It's never been about my weakness, or about my weakness in dealing with my weakness, haha. I am fully met by Him. Heart, mind, get on the bandwagon. Move toward some reality...

OK, I'm tired. As promised, here are some pics from my recent artsy adventure. Cindy, Danny and I met up with new friend (I'm totally allowed to call her that, we only hung out just this weekend) Stacey...a lovely fireball with, I suspect, somewhat of a soft center down in there. We met up at this Ethiopian restaurant on U Street...and promptly went into this side door, up the stairs, and into a small upper room - above the restaurant. There was a small stage, and the place was packed with people. As I looked around, I noticed some broad similarities...Asians! Asians and Pacific Islanders! Turns out, I stumbled upon Sulu- an artist collective for the Asian and Pacific Islander American community. There was spoken word, dance, music, and good ol' fashioned activism. Throw in some Ben's Chili Bowl after the show, and you've got yourself a mighty fine evening. I was so delighted...

And I lied. Blogger has decided that it will allow no pictures today...I will try again in future posts? That's lame, I know...but it's Friday, this has been the most labor-intensive week so far, and I just got back from a wonderful potluck at Bruce's sweet Capitol Hill East residence, in the company of some of my favorites. :) Got a hot Skype date with my beloved Sarah in the morning, but for now it's time to indulge and catch up on House!



(I love you, Hugh Laurie. Keep this a secret between us for now.)

1 comment:

  1. just curious...Is the God of your blog the Mrs. Butterworth God of the Shack?

    ReplyDelete