Thursday, September 30, 2010

Congratulations. You have found the pebble, and missed the gravel pit.

So says...guess who? Abernathy, you old foxhound. I actually, and genuinely, really like this guy. When I'm in his class, I feel like my mind is always active and my face is always grinning- that's a recipe for success, readers. It's what brings me all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to McDonough Hall on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings. He doesn't work too hard to hide the fact that under that bristly, sharp-tongued, often-playful exterior of his is some genuine care for us and what he does. A good teacher, that one.


A thought: have you ever been in close proximity to many people on treadmills and felt deeply in your soul that in some cases, the treadmill is working way harder than the treadmiller? A telling sign is the sounds they make...you know the one: the footsteps sound kinda like the treadmill is getting repeatedly and systematically punched in the gut, in between high-pitched groaning cries.

I think I may need to write a strongly worded letter or two.

Hey, you guys want to pray for something specific? I know I've covered this with a few of you, but it bears repeating. I don't know if you've gathered this, but law school is kind of...busy. And...it requires some work. This combination brings the danger of being stuck inside my own world all the time - it's already the human condition to be self-involved, haha, and this environment is just a simmering stew of potential blinders to the world around me. I've been asking God to help me be available: to Him, to have the internal stillness/ears to hear Him, to know His voice in my day, and to have the courage/energy to respond to what He says. Related to that: available to people! I've met some really, really rad people. I want to know them! To be warm, and open, and to figure out how to love people well here. You know? Ask God with me, will ya?


And now, a few pictures. Yesterday was Cindy's 24th! Oh, to have reached nearly a quarter-century of wisdom and experience...It was really great fun. The real celebration adventure (wow, that sounds like a bad theme park) is on Friday, and Cindy doesn't know anything about the night except that she's coming. We're gonna....
....
....
....
Nice try, Cindy. I know you read this. If you really want to know what the plans to your surprise birthday are, you shouldn't agree to me as the planner next time.

Yesterday, yesterday: we made some dinner/dessert at my place, to celebrate La Princesa Preciosa. Just a few friends doin' what friends do best...


Big occasions deserve big glasses. Of note here is the fact that that champagne was a surprise crazy "donation to the party" from the quiet old man who lives next door. I see him all the time, and we always exchange some smiling words...and he always seems surprised that I talk to him, haha. Tonight we had some good wine, but NO OPENER. This was not to be borne, readers. I went outside in my apron, prepared to go to great lengths, when I see Gene on his front porch, watering his crazy plants. "Gene...do you happen to have a wine opener?!"
"Oh, yes. Yes! I have a few. I'll bring you my best one! Do you...do you have enough to drink?"
"Well we do have a bottle of wine that we're pretty excited about..."
"Well I'm a bit of a champagne connoisseur. I'll bring you a good bottle!!"
"Oh....wow! Really?"
"Yes! I insist, I'll bring it right now."
"That's...amazing, thank you!"
He promptly came over with a quite large bottle of very delicious champagne...God bless the cellar that one came from!



Oh I come from a land, from a faraway place...


Haha...I love candid shots.


Bruce and I are cool.



Hebrew getting love...and...Hebrew as a babushka.

Tired, but happy, with bellies full of chicken parmesan, spinach salad, fresh bread, and yellow cake/chocolate icing. Good day. Good night. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment