Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Craigslist and the Conch Republic

Let me share a thought with you, America. If you're going to go to Georgetown Law and pay an exorbitant amount of money to be educated by people smarter than you are, you might consider paying attention to them.  One activity that might not be considered wise is responding to personal ads on Craigslist. For 95% of the class. Additionally, the fact that you sit on the front row so that everyone else can see you Facebook-stalking the girls you're "engaging" to make sure they measure up...well, perhaps I should be mad that I have to fight the distraction, but it makes it so much funnier that I'm not sure I can be. It seems I should probably actually thank you, sir.

While we're on this topic- Craigslist? Really? Does anyone actually use Craigslist for real relationsh-...oh. I get it now. I know what you're all about, First Row Guy. A wag of the finger to you, Stephen Colbert style (anybody else excited about the rally, by the way??).

I have been looking for a church to call home ever since I moved to DC, about 2 months ago (really?? Wow). Readers- the Great Church Search of DC may be coming to a close...or at least a long sabbatical. If I'm not mistaken, I think Grace DC may very well be where I hang my hat and roll up my sleeves. :)  I love their Gospel preaching and their interest in community, both internally and externally. My thanks to and for the rest of Team Church Search...really, though, it's great to be able to process through that with other people, isn't it? I'm grateful to have had a community as I looked for community, haha.

Highlights from the weekend:
-Trying an actually delicious vegan, gluten-free cupcake/cookie! Sticky Fingers, well done.
-Dinner party with friends. :)
-A late Saturday night full of both rich and nonsense conversation, then a slowwww Sunday morning start, complete with French toast and peanut butter. So excited to have found others who love peanut butter on breakfast foods on which one also puts syrup. I was beginning to think that Grandpa Simpson and I were alone on that one.
-Surprising Cindy with a late night birthday picnic at the Lincoln Memorial, amongst other activities:


We had almost given up on catching a taxi at this point. Wade thought hitchhiking would be a neat addition to the evening. Seeing as Wade is always right about everything, we were ready to listen to him.

Speaking of things Wade is right about, he told me something astounding that forced me to call him a liar...until I googled it. Did you know the Florida Keys seceded? In 1982? Yep. Seriously. The Conch Republic. They have passports. Congress even kind of recognized them as having dual citizenship, and I'm convinced that a big part of the reason why is that most of Congress thinks they're joking. My two favorite things about this situation:
1. America might get a day to celebrate independence from the Motherland, but the Conch Republic takes A WEEK, EVERY YEAR to celebrate their...what, exactly? I think "independence" is an amusing way to put it. We'll just go with that.
2. Their slogan: "We seceded where others failed." Yes. I'm not kidding. I am not funny enough to make that up.

I'm making t-shirts. Who's in?

In other news, we've got the makings of a Georgetown Law Beer and Bible...yessss! I've been throwing out the concept to a few people repeatedly over the past couple of weeks, and I've got two very solid compatriots. I'm really excited! All are welcome, and as we figure a few things out, I'm going to spread the word: a little beer, a little Bible, and people from all faiths/viewpoints to hash over it with one another. It's going to be a fun, interesting experience in this academic environment, but it's still fundamentally the same thing every time, isn't it? As my best friend says, "The purpose of doing something like a Beer and Bible is to come to the end of ourselves." I love that.

God continues to be so faithful to me, and so near. Thank you for praying, all of you who continue to do so so faithfully. I really can't fit my gratitude into Blogger- for real. He keeps giving me things I have not known how to ask for, and...He's just teaching me how to be His daughter, and to interact with Him like a child. Total, wide-eyed dependence, with all its scary grey areas and easy grins. I am even dependent on Him for teaching me how to be dependent on Him. It's pretty funny, actually.

And with that, I leave you...Brothers Karamazov is calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment